History

FromToEvent
2007

Construction begins for the Beaty Biodiversity Centre, future home of the UBC Herbarium. 

1996

F.J.R. "Max" Taylor elected to the Royal Society of Canada

1994

Botany co-hosts the 5th International Mycological Congress

1977

Botany, Biology, and the Dean of Science occupy the North wing of Biological Sciences. 

1973

UBC Herbarium relocates to top of the West wing of the Biological Sciences Building. 

1968

UBC Botanical Garden relocated to 16th Avenue and SW Marine Drive. Dr. Roy L. Taylor appointed Director. 

1965

Six faculty members collaborate to publish An Evolutionary Survey of the Plant Kingdom by Robert F. Scagel, Robert J. Bandoni, Glenn E. Rouse, W.B. Schofield, Janet R. Stein, and T.M. Taylor; a book that put the Botany Department onto the textbook best seller list for almost a decade. 

1964

Department of Botany renamed Botany and Biology. G.H. Neil Towers appointed as Head. 

1951

Vladimir Krajina (former Secretary of State in the post-WWII government of Czechoslovakia and former Professor of Charles University in Prague) arrived at UBC. Developed the Biogeoclimactic Zone system for BC forests and led the lobby to establish BC's Ecological Reserves. 

19211922

Department of Botany established with the following teaching faculty: 

  • Andrew H. Hutchinson, MA (McMaster), PhD (Chicago), Associate Professor of Botany 
  • John Davidson, FLS, FBSE, Botanist in charge of Herbarium and Botanical Gardens 
  • J.W. Eastham, BSc (Edin), Lecturer in Plant Pathology 
  • H.A. Dunlop, BA (BC), Assistant in Botany and Zoology 
1916

Appointment of Andrew H. Hutchinson, MA (McMaster), PhD (Chicago), as Assistant Professor of Botany. 

1912

Davidson starts a botanical garden and arboretum at the BC Colony Farm in Coquitlam. This garden provides the initial stock for the UBC Botanical Garden on the Point Grey campus. 

1911

John Davidson arrives in BC from Scotland. Appointed Provincial Botanist and required to teach at the "new university".