Shipping & Receiving for Botany/Zoology
Page last updated on 2022-11-03
*** Please make sure to include your name and/or your lab name as part of the address when providing shipping information to sender. This will help limit the number of recipient-tracing email sent to the entire Department.
*** Please notify Ship/Rec via email in advance if your package requires any additional care (e.g. perishable items/refrigeration, live animals etc.)
- As we have limited space in the fridge, perishable items should be picked up on the same day upon receipt of the notification email.
- Non-perishable items should be picked up within 5 business days.
- The ship/rec freezer only reaches -18°C, any items that require storage temperatures to be below -18°C should be picked up right away.
- When picking up, please locate your name / lab name on the Parcel Tracking sheet and sign for the item(s).
Shipping via FedEx:
- Please use the kiosk computer in the ship/rec office to create your own waybill. There are step-by-step instructions on the desktop and in-person assistance is available if required.
- For same-day pickups, please make sure the item is ready to go by 2pm.
- Billing options:
1) UBC Worktag/Speedchart
2) Bill to recipient
3) Bill to third-party FedEx account
Shipping via UPS:
You may log into the ship/rec account to create your own waybill(s) on the kiosk computer.
1) Enter credit card info
2) Bill to recipient
Shipping via DHL:
Shipping/Receiving does not have an account set up at DHL.
However, department members are welcome to use the Kiosk computer to create shipping documents and designate the ship/rec office as the pickup/drop-off point.
Ordering from International Suppliers (message from UBC Procurement Services):
- All incoming international shipments to UBC will be brokered by Thompson Ahern International. Contact Email: UBC@taco.ca
- Your Worktag must be informed to the sender to add to the shipping paperwork. So that once our broker gets the paperwork, they are able to charge the correct Worktag for the order.
Botany Shipping address
Your First and Last Names
Your Lab Name
6270 University Blvd
Hours of Operation and Contact Information
Hours of Operation:
Mon.-Fri., 9am- 4:30pm
[Closed for lunch @ 12:30pm-1:30pm]
The compressed gases cage is located outside of the ship/rec office between the East and South Wings of the Biological Sciences Building.
- Key to the cage is available for pickup during Shipping/Receiving’s hours of operation.
- Any new deliveries from Linde/Praxair should be picked up within three business days upon arrival. The cage should be used as delivery space only, not for storage.
The e-waste cage is located inside of the Shipping/Receiving office. The cage is designated for small to mid-sized electronic waste only. No large appliances shall be disposed to the cage.
Soil waste (autoclaved) bin
The soil bin is located at the Zoology parking lot. Key to the bin is available for pickup during Shipping/Receiving’s hours of operation.
Chemical waste, solvent waste, autoclaved biomaterials and lab glass waste
*** UBC Environmental Services Facility has been scheduled to pick up Bio- and Chemical wastes every Thursday. Drop-offs throughout Monday-Wednesday are encouraged.
*** Please ensure to attach the appropriate documentation on each item.
- Autoclaved Biomaterial Waste – Recommended Practices:
** When an autoclaved biomaterials leakage occurs, the liquids from the bag(s) contaminate the waste bin and emit odorous/potentially hazardous smells that often spread from the storage room to the entire ship/rec area.
The following lab practices will help prevent autoclaved biomaterials from leaking out of their bags:
- Try not to overload the bag – suggested maximum weight: 6-7kg, not to exceed 10kg
- Try not to place pointy/sharp objects inside the bag
- Once autoclaved, squeeze out excessive air before sealing the bag and leave the materials to cool off completely
- Place the sealed, cooled bag in a fresh / non-autoclaved autoclave bag before dropping off in Storage Room 1015B
- Glass waste – clean glass only:
- Glass waste containers and plastic bags are available to pick up in Room 1015C during Shipping/Receiving’s hours of operation.
- Once glass waste container is 3/4 full, tie bag closed and ensure no glass protrudes past the container top.
- Please refer to the Laboratory Glass Waste Disposal Procedure for more detail.
All Botany members must follow the conditions of use listed on the Botany Resource Booking - Vehicle website.
- Each driver must be a Botany member (faculty, staff, or graduate student) with valid Class 5 Driver's License.
- Each driver must make their own bookings online as well as picking up / returning the vehicle and key.
- Please fill gas at the end of your trip and return the vehicle key with the gas receipt included.